The Country School
Capital Campaign

Planned Giving

There are many ways to support The Country School’s future that do not affect you and your family during your lifetime. Although including a bequest in your estate plan is one way to leave a legacy, there are other arrangements, similar to bequests, which are simple, straightforward, and accomplish the same goal.
Gifts Anyone Can Make
You can support Country School in several simple and savvy ways without reducing your income or diminishing your savings.

Think about using assets that can be transferred to The Country School without legal expense. You may have bequests, stock, or life insurance that you can use to accomplish your charitable goals. All of these assets can be transferred by completing a POD (Payable on Death) or TOD (Transfer on Death) form. Some companies also call these beneficiary designation forms. This completed form tells the account custodian what to do with the account after your passing.

You can name The Country School in your long-term plans today without a negative impact on cash flow or lifestyle. A simple POD form from your bank or TOD form from your investment account or insurance company can be easily obtained and completed.

Benefits of Naming Country School In Your Long-Term Plans
  • You can make a gift that costs you nothing during your lifetime.
  • You can make a gift and leave your cash flow and current financial planning unchanged.
  • You can make a gift with appreciated assets and save taxes.
If you designate The Country School as the beneficiary of your donor-advised fund or if you would like to learn more about the Heritage Society by making a planned gift, please notify Karen Cunningham, CFO.
Designate and Donate — Stocks and Investment Accounts
How It Works
  • Contact your broker or investment account holder about a TOD (Transfer on Death) or beneficiary designation form for mutual funds or other types of investment accounts. Our tax ID is: 06-0707051.
  • You receive an income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer, no matter what you originally paid for them.
  • You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer when the stock or share of investment account is sold.

Stocks and Investment Accounts: You've Planned for the Future
Investment accounts hold cash or stocks for the long term. You may have a mutual fund or a brokerage account, which is held at a financial institution. The objective of these accounts is to achieve long-term growth, provide future income, or preserve capital. After your passing, the remaining account balance may be transferred to heirs or charity.

When you opened the account, you should have received a form that tells the financial institution what to do with the assets when you pass away. This form is called a "Transfer on Death" (TOD) form. With it, you decide how your assets will be transferred. You can also leave all or a percentage of the assets to The Country School. Any portion of your investment account left to us will be exempt from estate and inheritance tax. You also avoid paying any capital gains on assets that have increased in value over the years!
341 Opening Hill Road, Madison, CT 06443
P. 203-421-3113  |  F. 203-421-4390  |  Health Office F. 860-469-2550